Below are current WEAC and UniServ job openings. For more information about these and other job opportunities, contact Jill Hein, Human Resources Coordinator, at email@example.com or at 800-362-8034, extension 230, or at WEAC, P.O. Box 8003, Madison, WI 53708-8003.
UniServ Director, Rock Valley Education Professionals (RVEP), Janesville
4/16/2013 4:05:00 PM
Job Title: UniServ Director, Rock Valley Education Professionals (RVEP)
Location: Janesville, WI
Classification: Professional Staff, Category III
RVEP is seeking applicants for a full-time UniServ Director position. Minorities and females are encouraged to apply.
BACKGROUND ON THE UNISERV UNIT
RVEP represents about 2,000 public school employees in south central Wisconsin, with 6 professional units and 2 ESP units. RVEP employs 1 professional staff and 1 associate staff.
The RVEP office is located in Janesville, Wisconsin, located 51 miles south of Madison, Wisconsin. Janesville is located on the Rock River in the rolling hills, rich fields and verdant woodlands of scenic south central Wisconsin.
The UniServ Director shall:
- Assist member locals in matters of:
- Organizing and advocacy
- Membership organizing
- Bargaining unit recertification
- Membership recruitment, promotion and development
- Professional rights and responsibilities
- Public relations
- Legislative matters
- Provide counsel, advice, and representation to individuals in member locals.
- Represent individuals in job-related termination or nonrenewal conferences and unemployment compensation hearings.
- Develop materials and present leadership training to member locals.
- Work cooperatively with the President and Board in planning the agendas for all Board meetings and Representative Assemblies.
- Develop and promote positive working relationships with RVEP staff, RVEP members, WEAC and the NEA.
- Practice and encourage teamwork, collaboration, and consensus decision-making when possible.
- Exhibit and promote open, honest, and direct communications.
- Create a positive work environment that generates innovative ideas and risk-taking opportunities.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance in the development and execution of the goals and objectives of the UniServ unit.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President and/or RVEP Board, consistent with the job description and professional expectations.
- Prepare written reports as requested by the Board.
- Experience in membership recruitment and organizing experience in public relations and community organizing
- Experience in political action
- Teaching and/or public sector labor relations (preferred)
- Association staff experience (preferred)
- BA required (MA preferred)
- Experience as an association leader in education (local, UniServ, state or national) or other public or private sector unions
- Experience in negotiations (preferred)
- Experience in grievance processing/rights arbitration including case presentation (preferred)
- Knowledge of school law, school finance, and educational issues (preferred)
- Computer literacy and skills
- Ability to promote and adhere to the policies adopted by the RVEP Board and Representative Assembly
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of individual member(s) concerns in a professional and confidential manner
- Willingness and ability to commit the time and energy necessary to meet the extensive demands of the job (50-60 hours/week).
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel as necessary.
SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
The successful applicant will be hired pursuant to the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the United Employers Association, and the United Staff Union. An excellent fringe benefit package and automobile allowance are provided.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
A person interested in applying for this position should submit a letter of application, two letters of reference, resume, and the names of three other references no later than 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 14, 2013. The letter of application should describe the candidate’s experience in: organizing, public relations, member representation, political action and negotiations. Please submit applications to:
Jill Hein, Human Resources Coordinator
Wisconsin Education Association Council
P.O. Box 8003
Madison, WI 53708-8003
(Reference: RVEP UniServ Director)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER